December 2017 work summary

December was a very slow month. December often is as clients have other priorities as did I. I finished teaching a class and issues two new releases of my digests extension. Revenue-wise, 2017 was my best year so far. Here is a summary of my paid work in December. All client information has been anonymized. Since I will be on vacation for 18 days in January, I expect next month will be slow as well.

  • Undertook a painful upgrade of a forum from phpBB 3.0.1 to 3.2.1. It ended up taking most of the day. A database timeout meant I could not upgrade phpBB on the client’s site. So I had to extract the database, download it, recreate it on my machine and convert it there. Some tables requires multiple extracts to export due to timeouts. Because I have PHP 7 on my main computer and I needed to first upgrade the forum to phpBB 3.0.14 (which does not work on PHP 7), I had to do the conversion on my laptop. After I upgraded the forum on my laptop, extracting the database from the laptop turned out to be an issue until I explicitly told mysqldump to export as UTF 8 (UTF-16 was the default). This seems to be a MySQL peculiarity when it runs on Windows. In addition, the client’s file manager was rudimentary. All files had to move using FTP. Installed the Advertising Management extension and mChat extension but left client to configure. Client will handle styling. Upgraded PHP to 5.6 (was on 5.0).
  • Moved a forum from Westhost hosting to A2 hosting. Client had a temporary domain name on the new host. I first tried to upgrade forum on old server but it didn’t work. I created a new forum on new server but database and files were not moved by the new host. Client provided a copy of the database. I loaded it on local machine (3.1.9 database) and upgraded it there to 3.2.1. I then created a new forum database on new host. I populated it with upgraded database from my machine. I changed folder permissions to standard. Moved /files, /images and /store folders from old server. Changed Imagemagick path as it had changed so embedded images would display. Installed ID_Launch Fresh Style. Installed Google Analytics and Shareon extensions.
  • Installed Authorized for URLs extension. I went through the client’s numerous user groups and disabled privilege for bots, guests and newly registered users. I enabled extension to work for every other group. I provided instructions for its use.
  • Troubleshooting. Slow server, mostly manifested in slow database but also a lot of spam traffic. I discovered a WordPress temporary table issue. Two search tables in phpBB had repair issues as well; repairs would not stick for long. To keep a lot of the spam traffic from ever reaching the server, I installed Tapatalk both for WordPress and phpBB and enabled its spam firewall feature. I changed the storage engine for forum tables to use InnoDB. Converting the search tables to InnoDB required doing it from the command line as phpMyAdmin would time out.
  • Issue with routing and mChat on other than first page of the mChat display. Not sure what was causing issue is. .htaccess file for forum was missing uploaded it but didn’t solve the issue. Suggested disabling mod_rewrite. Installed SEO Sitemap extension and Italian language translation for it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *