I kept busy with phpBB work in August but fortunately not too busy. It was all just right for a change.
The big project was a Amazon Web Services (AWS) rehosting project that consumed four days after about two months of erratic testing and prototyping. I wrote about the project as it relates to AWS here. However, there were other details of wrapping up this project unrelated to AWS:
- A heavily modified AllanStyle SUBSILVER style was used, with the colors tweaked to closely match the old style. During the prototyping there were all sorts of things that had to be just right because the community is very fussy and they wanted extremely high fidelity for what they used to have. This style is basically you only choice now if you like the boxy, full width styling of the old phpBB subsilver2 style. Members in a certain group had to have a different color number name and font size, so it took a lot of puzzling there to get something acceptable. Fine tuning the styles included moving the view topic author column from the right to the left, and getting the width of this column just right to match what they had. There were some peculiar requirements such as having the Administration Control Panel open in a separate tab and adding additional links to the navigation bar.
- Six extensions were installed: Advertisement management, Pages, Media Embed, Smartfeed, Smilies Scroll and Topic Preview. There was quite a bit of work getting the advertisement management extension to serve ads correctly and to the correct groups.
- I created a forum test environment and kept it around so subsequent changes could be tested there before being deployed to production.
- Some BBCode was in the database for ranks messing up the display of ranks. These had to be removed from the database.
- Figured out why hide my online status wasn’t working. It was a permissions issue.
- There was also BBCode in the user_jabber column that could not be edited and had to be manually removed in the database. It messed up editing profiles. I discovered the Jabber module was not enabled, so I enabled it.
- Changed the text in the email templates to match content that was in there before.
- Later in the month there were more requested tweaks. The client wanted more ads to display on the view topic screen, every ten posts. This is not built into the Advertisement management extension. I used the group template variables extension to get the group information I needed and tweaked the view topic template to serve the ads unless users were in a particular group. Now they want another ad on the index between forums that I am working on.
Other work in August:
- I upgraded a forum from phpBB 3.1.6. to 3.2.2. I reinstalled an updated Latte style. Four extensions had to be upgraded: Joined Date Format, Board Rules, Reimg Image Resizer and Topic Solved. I reapplied the background logo and footer links. There was an issue when posting. Email notifications did not go out because SSL check didn’t work, causing an error. Disabling it allowed posts to be saved but email notifications still did not go out. Client had to get a correct set of SMTP settings from their web host to fix the emailing issue.
- Stood up a new forum and new domain for an existing client of nine years using a forum solution largely the same as their existing forum, Siteground hosting was selected on my recommendation. Installed phpBB 3.2.2, placed logo after resizing it, installed an orangish style to match the logo colors. Hid forum content from public. Disabled user registration. Installed ACP Add User extension. Installed and tested Tapatalk extension and access. Set up email account and forwarder to test email interface via SMTP. Set up SSL using free Let’s Encrypt certificates. Added Mailing List extension with same changes I made for their other site. Created a robots.txt file to deny search engines. Disabled contact form. Need to manually add users when deployed. Currently this project is not complete and is in user testing. As a result of testing, I applied a new style and made a number of fine styling changes, including some fine color changes. I also applied new specified fonts to forum name and site description. Installed media embed extension to embed a video.
- Client reported this error: “Error: [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4190: ob_start(): output handler ‘ob_gzhandler’ conflicts with ‘zlib output compression'”. Solved by changing PHP to 7.1, turning off the PHP ziplib extension, but needed to turn on mysqli extension because on this host it was not enabled by default. Later, it was discovered that some searches timed out after 30 seconds. I changed tables from MyISAM to InnoDB storage engines, but this did not solve the problem. I changed the PHP timeout to 60 seconds but the error still happened. I changed search index to MySQL FullIndex and it did not solve the problem. Eventually I determined the PHP mbstring extension needed to be enabled. I filed this as a documentation issue with the phpBB Group as enabling this PHP extension is not a system requirement.
- Updated a forum from phpBB 3.2.1 to 3.2.2. Was getting messages including “Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable.” The update made the error go away.
- Upgraded Tapatalk mod for a phpBB 3.0 forum to version 5.0.1 and made necessary file changes too. I removed the Tapatalk rebranding module because it was giving errors and is not needed.
- Styling work to integrate site headers and footers onto phpBB 3.2.2 using prosilver on a test site. 3 templates modified. Stylesheet changes were added to stylesheet.css. This project is not quite complete yet, but nearly so.
- Upgraded Tapatalk mod for phpBB 3.0 from version 4.9.8 to 5.0.0 for a client. I removed the Tapatalk rebranding module because it was giving errors and is not needed.