I kept busy in October, more so in the first half of the month than the last half. But that’s the paid work.
I’m still working on a book, the working title is “Mastering phpBB Administration”. Even if you cut the topics down, it’s a lot of material.
I updated all my extensions in October, with the last being an update to the digests extension. Two are in development: Filter by country and Selective Mass Emails. The latter got a review by the phpBB extension review team and is now back in the queue, along with Smartfeed. Filter by country is having issues and is back to Beta status. I haven’t yet submitted the latest version of Digests for review. It may wait until the next version.
As for paid work, here’s a summary of it. It was a reasonably profitable month.
- I updated phpBB from version 3.2.5 to 3.2.8. Also updated the board’s ne_greenblack style to version 3.2.8. Created a custom style and moved all changes there. Updated PHP from 7.1 to 7.2. Changed site’s .htaccess file to force https and the www prefix. Added two new extensions: Cleantalk and Hide Newest User & Stats Permissions. Set phpBB to use https including using a secure cookie. Later, I added template logic to viewforum_body.html and viewtopic_body.html to show custom ads on particular forums. A HTTP 401 error occurred when trying to install the Google Search extension on this forum too. I tried lots of things, but there was no clue in the error log. I suggested that his web host should resolve it. He didn’t want me to spend any more time on it. Later, there was some additional labor figuring out why Cleantalk wasn’t working: service wasn’t paid for was the most likely cause. Also, made main web links use SSL and set up .htaccess for forum to redirect http to https. Changed board settings and cookie too.
- I updated a forum from phpBB 3.2.0 to 3.2.8. Updated the Board Announcements, Lightbox and Cleantalk extensions. I created a custom style to insulate his style changes.
- A client of about ten years standing has decided to let me handle their new user requests, outsourcing it you might say. It’s pretty simple ad-hoc work when I get it, but they are happy to pay my commercial rate for the service. I also updated their forum from phpBB 3.2.7 to 3.2.8, updated two extensions and one style. Added or troubleshooted issues for about ten users over the course of the month.
- I updated a board from phpBB 3.2.7 to 3.2.8. There were no issues. It was a very vanilla installation of phpBB. Client noted a new high for the number of users online. These were likely spammers, but it didn’t seem to be impacting performance.
- Extended the logical volume containing forum, adding 400 gigabytes to the volume.
- Client was running out of quota. I removed excess backups from the forum’s store folder. I suggested getting the web host to add space to the logical volume containing the forum for a more permanent fix.
- I updated a board from phpBB 3.2.7 to 3.2.8. As part of it, I updated the following extensions to the latest versions: ABBC Box, mChat, Media Embed, Precise Similar Topics and Recent Topics.
- I updated a board from phpBB 3.2.5 to 3.2.8. I also updated the Cleantalk extension to latest version and disabled the Advertisement management extension. All this work had to be done with file manager because FTP credentials would not work.
- I created a custom style for a client, which meant taking their changes to an existing style and moving them into a custom style that selectively overrides the primary style, so that updates can be done easier. Changes were applied to phpBB 3.2.1 to a testbed forum. These changes would need to be replicated to a production forum, which the client will handle.
- Client paid me for some additional work and advice regarding hosting issues. I providing a better understanding of Cleantalk integration issues he was experiencing. The Tapatalk required a refresh of current version to work. I helped with making site use https and redirection to folder containing the forum. Client’s server IP was blacklisted in the Cleantalk dashboard. I made it a whitelisted IP and was able to register.
- I updated a board from phpBB 3.2.4 to 3.2.8. I added the following extensions: Simple spoilers, simple mentions, media embed, advanced BBcode box, best answer and Cleantalk. Extensions were slow to install and sometimes required many retries to install them. The media embed installation failed and I had to add two rows to the phpbb_acl_roles table manually to get it to install. I added the Cleantalk key and updated the American English language pack. I got occasional errors getting into Administration Control Panel.
- I updated two forums from phpBB 3.2.5 to 3.2.8. I created a custom style on each forum to encapsulate the style changes from the primary style. I updated three extensions on the first forum and 4 on the second one. There was an issue with ads being served may because the width of the ad exceeds the 980 pixel margin for the forum. I had to change config.php files to use mysqli instead of mysql to update the forum, as it was using PHP 7. I also updated AllanStyle-SUBSILVER to the 3.2.7 version for both forums.
- I updated my digests extension from version 3.2.4 to 3.2.15 for a client, to address a bug that was encountered. I noticed in file manager that files and store folders were missing. I created them manually but the 777 folder permissions would not stick. I suggested a ticket with the web host. Likely some security software is doing this.
- I updated a forum from phpBB 3.2.5 to 3.2.8. No one had an admin username and password, so I had to create my own access. However, I could not get into the database in cPanel. No credentials worked. So I installed phpMyAdmin in a folder of the same name off the domain, and got in that way, made myself a founder and then was able to do the upgrade. I noticed some dead AutoMOD modules that I removed, otherwise it was completely generic forum. This work was a referral from another customer, which is always nice!