November 2019 work summary

This was a pretty busy month overall. I did not have time to work on my extensions, although two extensions went through a formal review (Digests and Selective mass emails) but were, alas, rejected for more code changes. I am working on the book on phpBB administration and nearly done with a first draft. I hope to get it professionally edited but it needs a lot of work.

  • Updated board from phpBB 3.2.5 to phpBB 3.2.8. I also updated the Cleantalk extension from version 4.6.9 to 4.7.1. I reapplied the logo. The forum uses the default prosilver style.
  • A client getting hammered by bots in China and probably Hong Kong too. He was experiencing lots of HTTP 508 (loop detected) errors. I installed by Filter by Country extension (beta) 1.0.8 to see if that helps, blocking IPs from both China and Hong Kong. Analyzed Awstats statistics for October that indicated a lot of Hong Kong access. Client also blocked the Hong Kong range of IPs in cPanel. I changed the spambot countermeasure to reCaptcha. I disabled the contact form. More work may be needed later depending on how well this works.
  • Troubleshooting. A client had an issue with “Secure connection failed” error messages. I advised to change server settings, change protocol to https and port to 443. Later, I gave advice to use the domain name instead of an IP in the server settings. This was peculiar in part because the client wouldn’t give me access to his forum, so I couldn’t directly see the problem. Also, for payment he mailed me cash!
  • Client was having an open_basedir error with his Joomla content management system. Although not my area of expertise, I worked on it. The /logs and /tmp paths in Joomla’s configuration.php were incorrect and had to be pointed inside the Joomla folder. I figured out the absolute path and made these changes. The issue, or at least the reported error, seems to have gone away.
  • I updated a board from phpBB 3.2.7 to phpBB 3.2.8. I updated the board’s prosilver_se style to latest version, as well as Danish and German casual honorifics language packs.
  • The previous board owner has been non-responsive. He may be dead, and board issues were piling up. Traded some emails with an alternate administrator with no founder privileges on what I could do for her. I moved some users between groups. I also made her a founder. I answered questions on how to change group color, and ranks vs. groups.
  • Client failed trying to upgrade a board from phpBB 3.0.8 to phpBB 3.2.7. All files in the board’s root folder were missing including config.php, but the folders were there except for files, images and store folders, which I uploaded. I uploaded missing files too and created a config.php file, after finding the database and creating a database user. I then could update the board. Attached images in posts may be missing, along with avatars, ranks, etc. I changed folder permissions as necessary. Later, ran the update to phpBB 3.2.8. There were no issues after I corrected the username to use. I disabled the contact form. I did not change their spambot countermeasure.
  • I updated a board from phpBB 3.0.14 to phpBB 3.2.8. There were no mods on the old board, but AutoMOD was installed that I cleaned up manually. About 180,000 posts. No issues during upgrade but entering the ACP caused a VigLink error that I fixed by removing a row from the phpbb_config table. I installed the proprietary Milk style, which also meant installing its extension first. I gave the style a default color so I could see it, otherwise it was washed out. I disabled the contact form and added reCaptcha V2 checkbox spambot countermeasure. I changed the board’s config.php file to use mysqli. I recommended upgrading PHP to 7.2.
  • I converted a forum from phpBB 2.0.22 to 3.2.8. About 120,000 posts. I kept the default prosilver style for now. I installed the German Casual Honorifics language pack. I installed the GDPR Extension (Release candidate) and Advertisement Management extension. I disabled contact form and recreated the search index. I set up reCaptcha V2 spambot countermeasure. Client watched the whole process online with Skype. I suspect he will do the fine tuning.