phpBB 3.3.1 was released on August 7, the first update to version 3.3 since 3.3.0 was released in January. You can download it from the downloads page.
If you are still using phpBB 3.2, there’s an update (3.2.10) for it as well, mainly to address a security vulnerability. For more see this page.
Since a security issue was fixed, an update is recommended.
You can read the release highlights here.
There are three new features, something you don’t often see in an update:
- reCAPTCHA Version 3 is supported as a spambot countermeasure. You need to select it as the new spambot countermeasure and get a new set of keys from the reCAPTCHA site to use it.
- Profile field types can be enabled and disabled
- Only one email notification goes out when a topic has had new replies and you are subscribed to a topic. To implement this meant one new table had to be added to the database: phpbb_notification_emails.
One minor feature of the update was due to me: I filed a ticket asking for the inclusion of the DuckDuckGo search bot in the list of known bots. Woo hoo!
Some other things fixed:
- Full search text searching is faster if you use the PostreSQL database management system
- Support for FontAwesome Version 5 has been withdrawn
- You can use multiple emojis in text fields
- The private messaging bug was fixed. Without the patch, you were unable to delete or mark private messages read in the User Control Panel folder view.
- Reset password issue fixed. It could have resulted in PHP fatal errors being thrown.
- A bug was fixed that caused a failure when Emoji was used in private message subject line.
More minor issues fixed:
- A bunch of missing configuration variables were added if they did not exist.
- Conversions from phpBB 2 sometimes resulted in an invalid hash.
- Bug fixed that would not allow a group avatar to be deleted in the User Control Panel.
- Overflow error when attachments exceeded 2.1GB on SQLServer has been fixed. I found this as a bug years ago.
- Google+ has been removed as a profile field, which makes sense as Google no longer has a Google+ service.
phpBB 3.3 is supposed to have a new feature to make updates easier. So far I don’t see how it is any easier and the process looks unchanged. As I do more updates for clients, I will see if I can figure out what is new and if so post some revised guidance.