See this post for details on the release. A new feature is supported: the ability to have a digest containing popular topics only.
See this post on phpbb.com for details.
This version of the extension can be downloaded from my digest extension page or from the GitHub 3.2.8 branch page. When downloading from GitHub, remember that it must be copied into a blank /ext/phpbbservices/digests folder.
Of course disable the current digest extension first then remove the /ext/phpbbservices/digests/* files. Then upload the new version then enable again.
This will hit you if a subscriber needs a table of content and you installed version 3.2.7 of the digests extension. What happened was that in cleaning up the code I decided that the assign_vars method should be simplified to use assign_var when only one template variable needs to be connected to a template. Except that the messenger class used for email is a subset of the template class and it doesn’t support the assign_var method. So it fails. You can see the patch here.
This extension is still not approved. The phpBB extension review team found more issues, all very minor.
It’s taken a long time to put out a new release because I had to wait a few months for a review, and then I had to puzzle my way through bugs that were introduced into phpBB’s migrator in phpBB 3.2.2 which in many cases kept digests from installing correctly. It’s all pretty annoying but issues like this are bound to creep in from time to time. Anyhow, version 3.2.7 is released. With this release I’ve retested installing digests from a database upgraded from phpBB 3.0 with the digests mod installed. Apparently I hadn’t retested this since the 3.1 version of digests. Using this approach you can retain your digest settings from the mod.
Most of the change log is pretty technical and arguably irrelevant but you should pay attention to bug fixes and functionality changes.
- Fixed HTML5 validation issue with Edit Subscribers, closing </textarea> was missing
- Fixed HTML5 validation issue with Balance Load, added three <col> tags
- UCP dialog error fixed by adding additional code to jQueryUI interface
- Moved posts are not included in a digest
- Configuration variable phpbbservices_digests_strip_tags added by the migrator, was missed from earlier version
Changes in functionality:
- When the manual mailer is run, the file name includes a hash for added security
Extension team review fixes:
- Replaced isset($_REQUEST[‘config’]) with $this->request->is_set(‘config’)
- Replaced addslashes($balance) with $this->db->sql_escape($balance)
- Removed !defined(‘IN_PHPBB’) in mailer
- Moved code to load messenger class inside the mail_digests function in cron/task/digests.php
- Replaced sizeof() with count() as sizeof() is an alias of count()
- Removed redundant conditional operators where unnecessary
- Removed unneeded casting of function return values where unnecessary
- Used $html_messenger->assign_var() when only one template variable needed to be set instead of $html_messenger->assign_vars()
- Included ACP and UCP .css file through a switch, so they would not be loaded by other modules
- Edit subscribers now shows alternating row colors properly
- Included ACP and UCP .js file through a switch, so they would not be loaded by other modules
- Fixed some variable names that were not using camelcase
- addToStack() function logic now uses jQuery
- Removed redundant conditional operators where unnecessary
- Added var in front of variables that did not use them
- Removed query for f_list privilege, unneeded
- Used constants DIGESTS_DAILY_VALUE, DIGESTS_WEEKLY_VALUE and DIGESTS_MONTHLY_VALUE instead of literals
- Properly indented code in templates
- Properly indented code in templates
- helper class is no longer passed to main_listener class as it is no longer needed
- Brought copied functions up to date with functions in version 3.2.2 of /includes/functions_messenger.php
- Lots of work to simplify and address issues, some related to bugs in the migrator introduced in phpBB 3.2.2
- Conversion from digests mod: now properly converts configuration variables, modules and schema changes during enabling the extension if these remain in the database after upgrading from phpBB 3.0. This allows digest settings to be retained. Apparently this functionality never worked on phpBB 3.2. To get around what look like migrator bugs in phpBB 3.2.2, old modules are deleted with a direct database call. Note: if AutoMOD was used to install Digests, you need to remove AutoMOD modules manually. The symptom is an ACT_CAT_MOD tab appears in the ACP.
- Updates configuration variable to point to new digests web page URL
- Helper container removed as it is no longer needed
- release_3_0_6.php removed
- common.php linkage removed as it is not used anymore
For reasons that are not entirely clear to me there are issues when installing the digests extension on phpBB 3.2 if you are carrying over digest settings that were in place on phpBB 3.0 where the digest modification was installed. Most likely there were subtle changes in the phpBB modules library. Please see the first post of the digests extension topic for current instructions to use in this case. The new additions are copied below:
You should remove any old AutoMOD and digests modules before installing Digests.
Since the digests mod was often installed using AutoMOD, there may be a bogus ACP_CAT_MODS tab when you go into the Administration Control Panel. phpBB’s upgrade program isn’t smart enough to remove these. Clicking on the tab will usually trigger an error that tells you the module for AutoMOD no longer exists. (Of course it should not. The AutoMOD program should have been removed with the upgrade of your forum from 3.0 to 3.1 or 3.2.) These can be manually removed on the System Tab, Module Management, Administration Control Panel. You will have to descend the module tree and remove modules from the bottom up, eventually removing the tab altogether. You must do this prior to installing digests if you are importing digest settings from what was at one time a phpBB 3.0 database with the digest mod installed. If you don’t, you will likely get errors when trying to enable the digests extension. Make sure you remove all modules under this tab and what used to be the .MOD tab (now ACP_CAT_MODS tab).
It’s recommended that you remove old digest modules through the database before installing digests
The installer was designed to clean these up. However from what looks like quirks in the phpBB 3.2 modules library, you may get errors. Enabling the extension again usually solves the problem. It’s better to be proactive and use a program like phpMyAdmin to remove these from the database instead:
- Check your
config.phpfile to make sure you have the correct table prefix. In the example below,
phpbb_is assumed for the table prefix.
- Open a database manipulation program, typically phpMyAdmin
- Make sure you have selected the correct database. The
config.phpfile will indicate the database name.
- If you are using phpMyAdmin, select the SQL tab
- Execute the following SQL, changing the table prefix if necessary:
DELETE FROM phpbb_modules WHERE module_langname LIKE '%DIGEST%'
- In phpBB, purge the cache in the Administration Control Panel
There’s really no new functionality but it does clean up a few bugs, changes in minor ways the look of some ACP pages (Edit subscribers mostly) and addresses the issues by the last review by the phpBB extensions team. It’s been submitted for review by the extensions team and most likely will get approved.
It took about 6 weeks to get a review last time, so I expect it will take about that long this time too. But maybe since it is reaching a release stage they will expedite the process.
In my testing I was only able to get digests to mail from my web server when the email package size was 0. I assumed this was something about how my web server email interface was configured, which I can’t control.
I also assumed that when
$html_messenger->send() was called it placed it into the queue unless
email_package_size = 0. It’s counter-intuitive to call
$html_messenger->send() and then have to call
$html_messenger->save_queue() afterward to ensure it gets in the queue. Thanks to Petr, he determined this was the way it is apparently done.
So if you are using digests, after you install this release feel free to change your email package size from 0.
Digests version 3.2.5-RC12 is released! In addition, it’s been submitted for extension team review. With luck it may finally get approved. Given its complexity I expect they will reject it again. I expect it will take a few months to get a review, based on past experience.
You can download the archive from my digests page.
Not much new, fixed some bugs, most changes are to the ACP:
- Templates were converted to use TWIG syntax. Minor HTML5 validation errors were also fixed.
- Fixed bug in Edit Subscribers that would store a
user_digest_send_hour_gmtoutside the valid values of 0 – 23 in certain cases
- Balance load now has individual columns to show daily, weekly and monthly subscribers for a particular hour rather than use bold and italics to distinguish digest types
- Fixed bug in
get_subscribers_for_hourfunction. The second parameter for the function is supposed to be an offset in hours from UTC.
- ACP edit subscribers and balance load functions now have different background colors for alternating table rows
- As many inline styles as possible were moved into stylesheets
- Fixed various SQL statements to cast values into integers or floats explicitly. This is a phpBB coding standards requirement.
- In the admin log, dates now actually show two digit months and day
includes/html_messenger.php, which overrides the messenger class, was updated to include new code added in
/includes/functions_messenger.phpsince the html_messenger class was first created
See this post for more information.